Another 2nd Round Blues Lick – #3

by Griff

Here’s another lick from the “group 2″ series taken out of my Beginning Blues Guitar course. This one is important because it will teach you how to play the open E minor blues sound. This one scale is responsible for literally hundreds, if not thousands, of your favorite blues songs and licks….So we’ll start of with a video of it, and the TAB, and downloadable stuff is below. If you like, leave comments below, please.

Downloads:

• IPOD version of the video
  • WMV version of the video
  • MP3 play along of the lick
  • TAB for the lick (pdf)

{ 50 comments… read them below or add one }

Georage Vand January 3, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Great paintings! This is the kind of information that are supposed to be shared across the internet. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this submit higher! Come on over and consult with my website . Thank you =)

campervans for sale December 9, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Thanks for finally talking about >Another 2nd Round Blues Lick – #3
<Liked it!

adult December 3, 2013 at 4:06 am

I want to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I absolutely loved every little bit of it. I have got you book-marked to check out new things you post…

Agen Poker November 26, 2013 at 12:33 am

There are some interesting points in time in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There is some validity however I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as properly

Marta November 4, 2013 at 8:40 am

I am really inspired together with your writing abilities and also with the structure to your blog.
Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself?

Either way stay up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to look a nice blog like this
one nowadays..

Nadine November 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Since the admin of this web page is working, no uncertainty
very rapidly it will be famous, due to its quality contents.

velma burt January 14, 2012 at 12:35 am

Click Here! to see how to play with a drummer!!!

Greg Bell June 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Blues Guitar Unleashed and Beginning Blues Guitar is to guitar playing what Khan Academy is to science. You definitely fill a niche. Thanks.

guitaur May 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm

aewsome playing send me some blues tabs please

speedy April 26, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Hello Griff , I really want to get some of your courses. But I still have not had much luck with work. I hope and pray to GOD that the season kicks in soon?So what I am gonna do is stash some cash so I can get started. So how much do I need down to get started? I can use my credit card to make payments. I think I seen a plan of 47.00 of three payments. So I hope you know that really do want to get STARTED. THANK YOU, SPEEDY

kenneth kane April 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

great stuff, keep up the good work,Im an old guy who used to play years ago and its great catching up whith some of the stuff I missed out on, I just got upgraded by a guitar tech freind of mine ,he refitted 3 bouble seymour duncan pickups the middle one being special,and a bigsby tremolo unit to it , it looks fantastic and playing the blues on this baby really makes it sing and its a great thing for releiving stress , ECT so I will be following the lessons whith great interest, so viva la griff.

Ian March 19, 2011 at 5:53 am

Hi Griff
Thanks for the lessons mate still having fun cord changes are getting
good now! Many thanks

Jim Curtis March 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Griff,
Just wanted you know that I am still here, still trying and still appreciating all your efforts to help.
Jim

tom March 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

your great!!

tom March 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

your great thanks!

dick weber March 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm

hi i am 63 years old and gust started to play again i started playing guitar when i was 12 and played all through the twenties. i havent played for 40 years my fingers dont move like they use to but im getting there. the way you teach music is great you explain every thing perfect. could you possibly send me all the all the blues licks round to . i had them but my computer crashed and i miassed lost them.

sue bewick February 19, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hi Griff this course is great after losing everything when my computor crashed I have started again things are going well.Before I used to get fed up but with your course I can not stop playing thanks again Sue

Ross February 11, 2011 at 4:37 pm

A million thank you, Griff! Another excellent one to practice!
Looking forward for more in the coming days! So, please keep them coming and pretty soon we’ll have our hands full of good licks to practice and learn!
Hopefully, we’ll be able to save enough money to buy your wonderful course! Most of us here, I believe, are retirees with a real passion to learn how to play the blues and hope you understand that we’re trying our best to make both ends meet!

shane routh January 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I took a long time off playing the guitar and since I’ve started your course and getting all the videos sent I can’t stop playing I have made more progress in the past three months then I made in years of playing and it has inspired me to want to be the best guitar player that I can be you are not just a great teacher but you are a inspiration for all that you do and I am so thankful that I found your teaching and my dream is to be able to come to your school and be a part of the class that you are going to be holding.

Manos September 27, 2010 at 12:17 pm

AWESOME stuff man! thanks so much for doing this :)
I have a question for you if u can answer it, which metronome are you generally using ? it’s so “cool” as a sound! concerning that it’s an electronic metronome (i’m guessing), others of this kind always have so annoying noises for the beats!!! like high-pitched “clicks” or “beeps” but that thing is cool, like when you count with your hand sort of speak

David Hutchinson September 12, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Griff, you are the greatest. Your videos are informative and comfortable and not at all boring. Again, Kudos to you!!!!

ruffyy

Robert Q. August 26, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Hey there, i was getting Griff withdrawal and then bang!! Your new licks came in on the email. I’m loving these lessons, and always look forward to new ones. The notes are coming around and my finger tips are sore so i must be getting the hang of it ……Great stuff…..Keep it coming and will be ordering the CD ASAP…

lyn oropesa roadking August 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm

thanks griff for tips and lessons i look at every thing you send.learning new things and also incorporating what im starting to get back. recently laid-off so now i have more time to pick up the axe.cking out a club tonight they play blues. so maybe next time i can sit-in.your site is benificial to us guitar players.tks again.-roadking.

Cynicure August 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Well, thanks for the lessons Griff; it shouldn’t take me more than a couple of days to get this lot down…

;)

Linda August 12, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thank you, i am a little slow but trying my best. I love the lessons.

Kingman July 26, 2010 at 3:48 pm

By far the best online teaching site for beginner blues guitar. I have purchased teaching material from other sites and they pale in comparison.
Keep up the great work as you have made guitar playing and practice a lot more fun. Your lessons compell me to push on to become the best guitar player that I can be. Grateful in Vancouver BC.

talta July 26, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Thank you so much for this material, I am really having fun with it… although a lover and reader of music I have never played a string instument and find this learning process quite challenging, but as long as I stick to your lessons, I find I am making progress…. THanks again, much appreciated!

Steve May 14, 2010 at 2:43 am

Thanks again Griff, I’ve been told that I actually sound like I know what I am doing on my guitar now! In only four weeks …. keep rockin’. Steve.

Cliff May 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

This scale reminds me of the melody in “Born Under a Bad Sign” by Cream. Played that one when it was on the top ten list, but never saw the notes written down. Thanks Griff!

johnny b March 7, 2010 at 11:10 am

geez.you are making a blues guitar player out of me.i love it !!! i can hardly put my guitar dow now.And it has only been a month since i subscribed to your beginners lessons.Thanks a lot Griff …your the best.

Johnny B
Ontario CAnada

pete February 4, 2010 at 6:06 am

great stuff griff really getting into things now

Larry January 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I think the course is great but I think you might be throwing off some of the students with some of your videos. For example, the tabs for this video are eighth notes but you are not playing eighth notes. You are playing dotted eights—from what I remember from long ago—so this could be confusing some of the students.

Just a comment….

Griff November 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Dave,
The sitting easy blues is at

If you ever lose a lesson, just click the giant “Start Playing Blues Guitar” at the top of the page and you can scroll through all of them.

dave November 13, 2009 at 1:24 pm

dear griff Some how or other I have lost the last free bee of beginners blues . the one where you put it all together for the sitting easy blues. I wonder if you could send me that. It really would be appreciated.
thanks for what you have already given us
dave gordon drg41@hotmail.com

jer November 10, 2009 at 3:38 pm

PDF only prints staff, stems, and connect bars. No printing of instruction or tab numbers or note heads. I’m sure my printer is ok as it prints everything else. Many thanks for your otherwise good instruction..Jer

Gerry Collins November 6, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Griff,
really enjoying all your feebies and am making a lot of progress. Many thanks for all the time you obviously put into the videos and they are really easy to follow

Doug Germaine November 1, 2009 at 11:17 am

Hi Griff…I have been following you with your short clips and got real interested. I will enjoy learning and most important, playing the blues. I am looking forward for the DVD’s to show up at my door…I have been stuck in a rut and this is the thing to get me out of it…Doug

mikie October 31, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Griff,

Head into some David Gilmour psychedelic excursions!

Steve Conner October 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Hi Griff,
Blues lick #3 is a lot of fun. If you bang on it enough you can get some “Spoonfull” to fall out.
Speaking of falling out. I got this lesson on the 18th and I was wondering if there has since been another mailing or am I just impatient?
Thanks,
Steve

Steve Atkins October 25, 2009 at 10:48 am

Thanks for the lessons and for sharing your knowledge and skills. As a 57 y/o who has always wanted to play the guitar, you have made the lessons and playing enjoyable and fun. I look foeward to each new lesson. I hope to be able to get the DVD set soon. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Peggy October 22, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Hello Griff,
I am glad to hear from you all the time the lessons are great.I will try to keep it cool and not get in a hurry.
Thank-you

Steve Conner October 21, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Griff,
Thanks for the lessons. I’m having a ball.
Steve

Laura October 18, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Hi Griff, good to hear from u again, thany for the lessons I am making progress with your help. You are the greatest on line teacher I wish though i could have seen u play in Orange county, icouldnt make it , but thanks for the invite.Keep up the good work.

john clarke October 18, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Hey Griff
I have your BGU course (bought before the Beginners course was available) and I am slowly working through it. It is challenging and I am making slow progress. These beginners snippets are really useful, but a little too easy for me, so I guess I fall between the two. I agree with Idiotwind a slight shift in camera angle as suggested would be really useful. Keep up the good work in my experience you are the best online teacher by a long shot.

Chappy October 18, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Thanks Griff, I missed Round 2, videos 3 and 4 the last time you were posting them. I am assuming you did. Anyhow, thanks, regardless.

Chappy
aka
Gonefinger

wayne g. October 18, 2009 at 9:41 am

Hi, thanks for the lesson.I’m practiceing it along with the other lessons youv’e sent me. It really helps wayne

chris October 17, 2009 at 10:51 pm

great new lick griff thanks

Otha Shannon October 17, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Hey Griff,
As an old dude with little guitar knowledge I really appreciate both the beginner course and the original “Blues Guitar Unleashed”. I am playing a little blues and enjoying every minute. Thanks a million for your teaching style.

Idiotwind October 17, 2009 at 8:22 am

Thanks Griff, this is good stuff but too many panels to look at simultaneously but I may just be too picky. I prefer the earlier shot within a shot presentation however, I’ll live with this and who knows, maybe even come to like it over the earlier one. One minor suggestion about the camera position on the closeup of your pick hand, that is the upper right frame, move the camera more to the left (your left) and shoot from that angle so that we can see the pick touch the strings which we cannot see now. (Yea, I know, picky, picky, picky!) Cool.

Mike Fox October 17, 2009 at 4:01 am

Hio Griff
It’s really good to have your short clips for blues playing. I’ve been concentrating on the more formal playing for my basic exams, but being an ‘old’ strummer from college days (early sixties), it’s good to ease up a little.
I may even ‘buy’ the entire course at some stage, but in the mean time, it’s great to be able to chill out and cruise.
Many thanks Griff. You’re a star !

Cheers